[Openstack] nova-network configuration options, and endpoint questions

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:56:50 UTC 2012

On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Samuel Winchenbach <swinchen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been tasked with creating an openstack cloud on a cluster at the
> University of Maine.  Here is a rough diagram of the planned network
> network setup: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22341705/network-layout.jpg
> wher XXX.YYY.ZZZ is the upper portion of our public, routable IPs.
>
> Here are some (what I am sure) basic questions about how I should
> configure the network:
>
> 1) What is the purpose of my_ip and routing_source_ip?  In this example
> should my_ip=10.20.0.1 and routing_source_ip=XXX.YYY.ZZZ.226? Obviously
> this would only apply to cloudy correct?

my_ip sets a single default for all the ip-related config options.

routing_source_ip is where traffic will be snatted to when it leaves the vms.

> 2) is it possible to specify floating_range as a range of addresses?
> Our block of floating addresses does not have a valid CIDR notation.

You can create them individually or in groups with nova-manage, they don't have to fit into a floating_range config option.

> 3) What is the recommended binding for endpoints?  For node1 ... nodeN
> it seems the public/internal/admin endpoints will all be on the
> 10.20.0.0/16 network.  For cloudy are there any services that should
> have endpoints on the XXX.YYY.ZZZ.0/24 network?  For example it seems
> like having the ec2 compatiblity service on the public network might
> be useful for tools such as hybrid-fox.  Is it good practice to bind
> all admin urls to the managment network?

depends on where your users are. If users are accessing the api from outside the 10.20 range then you want to put the api endpoints on the public network.

Vish