[Openstack] [glance] legacy client removal and python-glanceclient

Brian Waldon bcwaldon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 05:09:56 UTC 2012

On Jul 31, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Matt Joyce wrote:

> I think we're running out of opportunities to do stuff like this.
>
> This is exactly the sort of thing that will drive George Reese into a homocidal rage.  More to the point its exactly the sort of thing our users are going to despise us for.  And that hatred will outlive any benefit.
>
> Users only remember the bad stuff.  We need to soften the blow on stuff like this.  Hell we need to actively work our asses off to prevent stuff like this.
>
> You know it, but it needs to be said on list.  Because people are going to complain that we didn't think.
>
> -Matt

Okay, I hear you loud and clear. What I need help with is making the situation better. Here's what we have to deal with: python-glanceclient v0.1.1 and v0.2.0 exist and are not compatible with what I'm calling the legacy client. Horizon depends on it. Devstack depends on it. We need to get users off of the legacy client and onto python-glanceclient ASAP, but in the nicest way possible.

Right now, I see these upgrade paths:

A deployer upgrades from essex to folsom using packages. The client on machines running nova or horizon are updated to python-glanceclient. The client is removed from nodes running glance. The client on users' machines is not touched.

If a deployer is chasing master, they have a higher price to pay - python-glanceclient has already been installed on horizon nodes and will soon become a requirement for nova. Depending on their specific install order, they may not have had to deal with the command-line interface changing. The client on users' machines is not touched.

I do agree that this current upgrade story could be better, but how much better do you expect it to be and in what specific ways? If the command-line interface were backwards-compatibile, would that solve all your problems? I'm fine doing that for the v1.0.0 release as long as we can deprecate all the old behavior out for a v2.0.0 release. Do you expect the legacy python library to get installed with folsom? As a side note, I do want to point out that the python module paths do not conflict.

Brian