[Openstack] database migration cleanup

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 16:13:56 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

The primary benefit here is it is simply less code to maintain:

The old migrations scripts for Essex are around 6200 lines of code.

The new compacted migration for Essex is around 950 lines of code.

> Looking at the logs for the migrations most of the changes (outside
> of
> PEP8 changes) appear to be sqlalchemy related changes, which will
> exist
> regardless if they are merged or not as well.
>
> > I mean why require end users to run migrations that add and drop
> > the
> > same table repeatedly?
>
> It's hard to just grep for which migrations drop a table/column added
> in
> a previous migration. Did you see how many are like that when you
> merged
> all of the migrations together?
>
> > I'm not sure I understand? Git still has the source code for the
> > old
> > migrations. All you'd need to do is checkout an old version of
> > master
> > or look at the stable/essex, stable/diablo branches right?
>
> True, you would just need to go out of your way to look at the
> history
> instead.
>
> I guess it's a matter of pros vs cons. Right now, I'd prefer to not
> merge them simply because I haven't seen what the benefit is.

The primary benefit here is just cleaning up our code base. If that isn't a good reason or if you'd rather keep the 82 Essex migrations in the code base for the long term please feel free to comment accordingly on the merge proposal.

Dan