[Openstack] [nova-volumes] relationship between nova-volumes and swift?

Oleg Gelbukh ogelbukh at mirantis.com
Sat Apr 28 07:47:16 UTC 2012

Hello, Eric

Swift is actually an object store rather then volume store. It is used for
storing any types of objects as files in underlying file system. This files
can be anything, including binary images of block volumes. HTTP is used for
transporting objects to and from the store.
Nova-volume service is totally different. It allows to attach virtual block
devices to VMs by providing correct parameters for nova-compute's
'attach_volume' method. It has a number of drivers that can manage
different storage back-ends (Linux LVs, SAN virtual disks, distributed
storage systems), but all these back-ends must be able to provide a virtual
block device to VMs, which Swift is not capable of.
Primary integration point between Swift and nova-volume is a way to store
snapshots of virtual volumes to Swift store as files:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/store-snapshots-to-swift.
Status of work on this blueprint is unknown to me.

--
Best regards,
Oleg