[Openstack] Mailing-list split

Duncan McGreggor duncan at dreamhost.com
Fri Apr 27 21:43:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Everett Toews <everett.toews at cybera.ca> wrote:
> I like this idea but what happens to the openstack-operators list in this
> scenario?
>
> I don't think we'd want to have the openstack and openstack-operators list
> going along in parallel since it sounds like they would overlap. I propose
> that the members of the openstack-operators list would be (automatically or
> manually) migrated to the openstack list. Then the openstack-operators list
> would be set to read-only or maybe even removed completely to avoid
> confusion.
>
> Comments? Feedback?

Hrm. One of the things that came out of the Design Summit discussions
around DevOps was that the OpenStack "DevOps" sub-community doesn't
really feel like it has a voice. As a result, I'd be loathe to remove
that venue for discussion right now, even if it's only of symbolic
value.

That being said, I propose that something along the following lines
could happen:
 * intense dev work, collaboration, etc., happening on openstack-dev@
 * general usage of openstack questions by folks who are not code
contributors, but standing up OpenStack itself, happening on
openstack@
 * conversations around DevOps in particular (the wide spectrum of
definitions that comprise "DevOps" in various people's minds)
happening in openstack-operators@

In helping jump-start (or re-jump-start) the OpenStack DevOps
community, I'd really like to have a dedicated place for
announcements, questions, etc. Even if we spent some time pointing
folks to more detailed, technical resources.

In hallway conversations at the summit (and in various emails and
phone calls since then), people who consider themselves "DevOps" have
expressed concern over the possibility that the operators list would
go away. They are overwhelmed by the volume of traffic on the
openstack list, and don't have the time to devise a solution for
creating appropriate filters, etc.

That objection may simply go away with the new mail list split.

But if openstack-operators has become a property valuable to community
members, we shouldn't just get rid of it because it doesn't make
logical sense. We should make sure that folks are ready to transition
to another location for their DevOps needs.

And that might take a cycle to sort out...