[Openstack] Running openstack on top of a non controlled network

Michael Grosser dev at seetheprogress.net
Fri Apr 27 00:08:59 UTC 2012

Hey,

I'm looking into setting up openstack in a minimal "production" environment
with 2 all in one nodes for swift and nova.
First I wanted to ask if you would advise against it or if it should be
fine? The plan is to have 2 zones with one all in one node for swift and
nova each as a starting point and then work from there on (later scale out
to more nodes).
As an immediate failover solution, I wanna use rackspace. (failover handled
via scalr [but not sure yet])

The problems I see are:
First useful to have a minimal setup like this? (both nodes have 16gb ram
and 8 cores and 4tb diskspace). Third node available with minimal network
connectivity/speed.

Second, which is probably the essence of this mail. I'm not controlling the
network layer.
There are no floating IPs, cause IPs are bound to each server via mac
address.
I can't trust the network traffic.
The provider is hetzner.de, if someone is familiar.

Is there any solution to that? Perhaps I just missed it in the docs.
I thought about using a vpn mesh network to setup a virtual network and
running openstack on top.
Still the entry points of the vpn would be the bottleneck and the
performance would go down a lot I reckon.

How would one run an openstack cloud/cluster across more than one
datacentre? Is there a way without bridging the datacentres via vpn or
direct link?

Thanks for any help/hint/idea.

Cheers Michael