[Openstack] Encrypted virtual machines

Justin Santa Barbara justin at fathomdb.com
Thu Apr 26 22:08:48 UTC 2012

I think that Intel's trusted cloud work is trying to solve that exact
compute host problem.  It may already have the framework to do so even if
the software hasn't caught up (i.e. if we still have some work to do!)

It relies on a TPM chip, all code is measured before being run, and then
there's a protocol to prove that a system is running that code (remote
attestation).  If you change the software stack by introducing a sniffer,
you change the hash.  So we'd need a stack with no root-access /
back-doors.  Once a back-door becomes known, the hash should no longer be
trusted.

I'm by no means an expert (I'm still learning about it), but I believe it
is possible, having read this paper:
http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/watc/FredericStumpfPaper.pdf

I'm sure there are still exploits (hardware RAM taps?), and we rely on a
total code audit, but we can raise the bar a long way.

Anyone from Intel / familiar with Intel's trusted cloud work want to
explain better than I can?

Justin