[Openstack] How does everyone build OpenStack disk images?

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 26 20:42:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Jay Pipes wrote:

> On 04/26/2012 04:19 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > If you have a KVM enabled machine, then 'Oz' has the ability to create
> > JeOS images for all the common distros you'll find. It is a very simple
> > command line tool that just focuses on image building&  image customization
> > (adding more packages to an existing JeOS image).
> >
> >   http://aeolusproject.org/oz.html
>
> Interesting, I'll check it out.
>
> > Yes, it is on the Aeolus project website, but it has no external
> > dependancies on the rest of Aeolus - it just wants kvm, libvirt&  a
> > few commonly available python modules. I've often thought that it
> > would be desirable to have Oz integrated into OpenStack to provide an
> > native image building capability. Given their common Python heritage
> > I think it would work quite well.
>
> Would be interesting to get that integrated into Glance somehow...

really?
I thought I overheard at the summit something "glance is just a registry".

Even if I heard that wrong, or "just a registry" didn't mean what I
thought it meant, I think that authoring content inside of the blobs that
glance stores seems to be way outside its scope to me.

I really do like the mechanism that oz uses for building images, but I
don't think that it should be in glance.