[Openstack] Encrypted virtual machines

Razique Mahroua razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:08:25 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,
I dunno how the integration is going regarding the encrypted images, but you can if you can use encrypted images with qemu/ qemu-kvm.
If your disk is an encrypted qcow2 image, by typing "cont" in the qemu/ qemu-kvm monitor, you would see something like this :

QEMU 0.11.0 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) cont
ide0-hd0 (encrypted.qcow2) is encrypted.
Password: ********
(qemu)

By providing your password, the instance should boot normally. I haven't noticed any perf. issues, since once the image is decrypted, it acts like a normal image. Maybe you weren't thinking to that encryption ?

Nuage & Co - Razique Mahroua
razique.mahroua at gmail.com