[Openstack] openstack.common setup code

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Apr 26 15:12:05 UTC 2012

Hey guys,

Quick follow up from the summit on things that should happen in projects
from the setup module of openstack common as I understand it. (to make
sure we're all on the same page)

There are currently 5 essential things in openstack.common.setup:

parse_requirements
parse_dependency_links
write_requirements
write_git_changelog
generate_authors

that are being used to varying levels in the various projects. What
should happen at this point is this:

parse_requirements
parse_dependency_links

Should be in all of the client libraries and should be removed from all
the not-client libraries. These are essential for pip installation of
client libs (which is important) as they allow pip to follow the
depends. The make things hard for non-client libs, as setuptools doesn't
understand git urls, which we use in non-client lib pip-requires files.

write_requirements

Should die everywhere. It was an attempt to record in our tarballs the
state of what was actually tested ... but did not actually provide
benefit to anyone - and the distros hate it.

write_git_changelog
generate_authors

Should be added/used everywhere. When generate_authors is added, unit
tests testing authors content should be removed.

Is this how everyone else understood the outcome of conversations at the
summit too?

Thanks!
Monty