[Openstack] How does everyone build OpenStack disk images?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 08:19:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 06:14:22PM -0700, Justin Santa Barbara wrote:
> How does everyone build OpenStack disk images?  The official documentation
> describes a manual process (boot VM with ISO), which is sub-optimal in
> terms of repeatability / automation / etc.  I'm hoping we can do better!
>
> I posted how I do it on my blog, here:
> http://blog.justinsb.com/blog/2012/04/25/creating-an-openstack-image/
>
> Please let me know the many ways in which I'm doing it wrong :-)
>
> I'm thinking we can have a discussion here, and then I can then compile the

If you have a KVM enabled machine, then 'Oz' has the ability to create
JeOS images for all the common distros you'll find. It is a very simple
command line tool that just focuses on image building & image customization
(adding more packages to an existing JeOS image).

 http://aeolusproject.org/oz.html

Yes, it is on the Aeolus project website, but it has no external
dependancies on the rest of Aeolus - it just wants kvm, libvirt & a
few commonly available python modules. I've often thought that it
would be desirable to have Oz integrated into OpenStack to provide an
native image building capability. Given their common Python heritage
I think it would work quite well.

Regards,
Daniel