[Openstack] How does everyone build OpenStack disk images?

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 03:17:44 UTC 2012

IDEA:

Add pxe boot support to nova (which seems interesting on its own!), and pxe boot from an installer image, then snapshot it.

OR:

Modify boot from iso image to allow the iso to attach separately (currently it replaces the root drive in KVM) so that you could boot from an iso but still have a snapshot-able disk to install to.

When we discussed this before, we thought you could do it by adding some metadata in glance about whether or not the image should replace the root drive or be attached separately {'attach_separately': True}

(Sorry for hijacking your thread with potential ways to do it in the future instead of current approaches)

Vish