[Openstack] [Keystone] What exactly are we modeling with endpoints?

Joseph Heck heckj at me.com
Wed Apr 25 16:47:14 UTC 2012

This isn't about parsing the data structure - it's about what a "service" represents so that we can model it appropriately. So what does the "service" here represent? the collection of all possible services of that type? That's what your example would seem to indicate.

In your example, the service is a pretty simple structure - just having a type (driven by convention and API spec) and human readable name, and each service is expected to have 1 to N endpoints.

Is it reasonable to have a service without any endpoints? Regardless of reasonable, is it allowable?

What does an endpoint represent? The API's URI point, clearly. Is there a uniqueness constraint of any kind on endpoints? Is it allowable (if strange) to list 3 duplicate endpoints with exactly the same metadata on it?

-joe