[Openstack] raw or qcow2

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Apr 24 23:49:06 UTC 2012

Ok, but forcing a new block storage project to have this feature, is that the right way?
Maybe it will, just wondering.
Glance seems to be the registry of images, so a natural progression is that it can maintain the image dependencies?
This would allow the qcow2 image to pull the needed dependencies down to nova.

On 4/24/12 4:44 PM, "Caitlin Bestler" <Caitlin.Bestler at nexenta.com> wrote:

Joshua Harlow wrote:

> What changes would be needed to make qcow2 files work as snapshots?
> Some type of image "dependency" management in glance (and failure cases) and the corresponding "dependency" fetching in nova (and failure cases)?
> Might be something pretty useful to have, instead of forcing raw for snapshots?

I think this is something that should be addressed in the new block storage project, and only incidentally in glance.
Basically, glance can record the intent of X being based on snapshot Y, but building a volume X that is based on some
copy of snapshot Y is best left to the block layer.

Any solution expressed at the Glance layer is going to be biased towards doing the cloning too early.