[Openstack] Canonical AWSOME

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 18:46:15 UTC 2012

On 04/24/2012 01:25 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> I’m more in favor of just having a schema, I don’t care if that compiles
> to protocol buffers, json, NEWAWESOMEhipsterMSGFORMAT.
>
> That schema will force people to think a little more when they add
> messages, and it will automatically document the messages that are being
> sent around.
>
> That’s a big win I think and is a step to getting those schemas
> versioned...

I'm not sure a schema is really necessary aside from the Python classes
themselves.  They're internal APIs, so they shouldn't be used from
outside of Nova.  A schema would be useful if we had to define the
interfaces in some language neutral-format, but I don't think that
really matters here.

I'm going to work on a proposal / prototype for how we can handle
versioning, though.  The big goal here is making sure that we can
maintain compatibility with the previous release.

--
Russell Bryant