[Openstack] Canonical AWSOME

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Apr 23 17:38:19 UTC 2012

We just have to be careful here to make sure that lots and lots of tests are done to ensure that the EC2 response is valid as well as to ensure the performance is not de-graded by having this proxy layer. If it does get de-graded then there needs to be some work done to ensure that this does not happen (ie new features in the openstack-api). Hopefully this proxy layer can also remain stateless, for as long as possible (for everyone's sanity).

On 4/23/12 7:57 AM, "Nick Barcet" <nick.barcet at canonical.com> wrote:

On 04/23/2012 02:39 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Philipp Wollermann wrote:
>> What's the advantage of replacing the native EC2 compatibility layer with AWSOME from a user / operator point of view?
>
> One thing that was mentioned is that the proxy could be run on top of a
> public cloud that chose to only deploy OpenStack API support.

Another reason why we started this project is that we believe this
architecture would be easier to use and maintain than what currently
exists in Nova. This is why we are proposing this work as a longer term
solution for EC2 compatibility.

Nick