[Openstack] Monitoring / Billing Architecture proposed

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Mon Apr 23 14:51:27 UTC 2012

On 04/23/2012 04:39 PM, Alexey Ababilov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have developed Nova Billing v2. Its documentation is currently
> available at http://aababilov.github.com/nova-billing-doc.github.com/.
> The documentation includes a glossary and architecture and API descriptions.
>
> Nova Billing v2 is a totally new solution. Its API and architecture were
> rewritten from scratch. The new Nova Billing introduces extensible
> modularized system with separate components.
>
> Nova Billing v2 can charge arbitrary resources according to custom
> billing schemas and, naturally, with different tariffs.
>
> Nova Billing v2 does not depend on any UI for OpenStack Cloud (neither
> OpenStack Dashboard nor any other solution). It does not require a
> particular OpenStack release. Provided components allow integration with
> diablo and essex and this list can be extended.
>
> Nova Billing v2 is event-driven and does not consumes system resources
> for periodical polling.
>
> Nova Billing v2 uses a RESTful protocol, so it is easy to integrate it
> with miscellaneous user clients and to add third-party components
> notifying about arbitrary events.
>
> Alessio Ababilov,
> Software Engineer
> Grid Dynamics

Excellent! It sounds from the architecture that your work will easily be
integrated into a the generic OpenStack metering solution that we are
currently defining.  The main goal of our design is to dissociate the
metering from the billing part and to offer extensibility to all current
and future components of OpenStack.  Would you care to help us define
this architecture?

Thanks,
Nick