[Openstack] Instances can't access eachother via external (floating) ips?

Calvin Walton calvin.walton at kepstin.ca
Fri Apr 20 14:03:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have instances running in Openstack using FlatDHCP networking mode.
Each one has an IP address in the internal subnet (192.168.22.x) and a
floating IP from the external subnet (192.168.0.x).

I've found that from one instance, I cannot connect to another instance
(or, in fact, even the same instance) via the external floating address
(I have some monitoring tools that attempt to do this to verify that a
server is running). Connections from external computers work fine.

My best guess is that there is an issue with the NAT on my nova-network
node not allowing loopback connections. Is this intentional, or a bug?
Is there a workaround available?

For reference, I'm currently using OpenStack from the
'latest-milestone-test' OpenStack PPA on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton at kepstin.ca>
Blindside Networks http://www.blindsidenetworks.com/