[Openstack] About OCCI implementation and SLA

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Tue Apr 17 10:54:12 UTC 2012

OGF has the definitive standards for automated machine readable service agreement expression (including software license management and SLAs) I the two specs known as WS-Agreement and WS-Agreement Negotiation (WSAG and WSAN)). These allow any service agreement to be expressed in XML, and the latter provides for programmatic negotiation of predetermined parameters of agreements expressed in the former. Despite their names, there are RESTful implementations of WSAG and many language tools, though perhaps not as many yet as for OCCI, already exist.

There are several examples of both commercial and open source software written already that use these specs. A quick search on "WS-Agreement REST" will produce many useful
Responses, for example.  I know that the OCCI team and OGF GRAAP group that produced these specs have been talking extensively lately, but do not know the results.

WSAG4J and the OPTIMIS Project are two useful starting points among many.

I would love to see a project to incorporate standards-based interfaces to OpenStack for service agreements just as OCCI does for cloud interface management.

Alan