[Openstack] Open Cloud Computing Interface Blueprint Implementation

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:32:26 UTC 2012

Andy,

Fantastic!  It's great to hear about this work and opportunities for more folks to get involved.

As the developing organization for the OCCI specifications, we are delighted to see this kind of uptake. OCCI as you know is about to celebrate its third birthday as a full-scale working group, and just passed a year since ifirst formal publication. OCCI is already part of many items of commercial and open-source running software in the field and has proven its ease of implementation. We at the OGF are very pleased to have hosted the working group that has put out such a useful set of community-developed specs.

As the field of open cloud standards matures, I hope that the pioneering and already useful work done by the OCCI group is recognized, and the ease of use and multiple programming language interfaces and tools and related binding work that has been done will become familiar to the coding community.

The specifications themselves can be found at

http://ogf.org/documents/GFD.183.pdf ,
 http://ogf.org/documents/GFD.184.pdf and
http://ogf.org/documents/GFD.185.pdf

for the OCCI Core, Infrastructure and RESTful HTTP Rendering documents, respectively. As you know, the JSON Rendering specification work is already at a highly advanced and usable state.

In addition to the extremely nice implementation work you refer to below, we have seen development of rOCCI for Ruby, OCCI4Java, libvirt4occi, pyssf and occi-py as well as the very powerful ANTLR grammar that you mention in the implementation links you provided. In addition, there are automated tools for compatibility testing and many working production coded examples that can be used as templates. These make it possible for working developers to get a quick start based on actual code for their favorite environment.

OCCI already forms the basis of the infrastructure interfaces for the EGI Federated Clouds Task Force and is built into OpenNebula, and recently work has been done to provide an EC2 interface implementation, raising the prospect now that OCCI can provide the first true cross-project, cross-platform and cross-infrastructure interface for cloud computing.

I hope you have a great turnout at the OpenStack unconference session. Rest assured that OGF will continue to provide a great home for the open working groups that have provided these and related specs. We look forward to continued progress on your OpenStack implementation. Please keep us informed as your implementation progresses.

Alan

Alan Sill
Vice President of Standards
Open Grid Forum