[Openstack] running HA cluster of guests within openstack

Martin Gerhard Loschwitz martin.loschwitz at hastexo.com
Fri Apr 13 14:54:45 UTC 2012

Hi Ikke,

great work! :-)

Am 13.04.12 11:31, schrieb ikke:
> I likely am not the first one to ask this, but since I didn't find a
> thread about it I start one.
>
> Is there any shared experience available what are the capabilities of
> OpenStack to run cluster of guests in the cloud? Do you have
> experience of the following questions, or links to more info? The
> questions relate to running a legacy HA cluster in virtual env, and
> moving it into cloud...
>
> 1. Private networks between guests
> [...]
>
> BR,
>
>  Ilkka Tengvall

I think, as Major pointed out already, that the biggest problem right now
is that there is a certain lack of easy-to-use STONITH solutions to trigger
STONITH events from within virtual machines. I have something cooking here
using the latest version of Pacemaker; should this turn out to work, it
would make many things a lot easier. I'll elaborate a little bit more on
this once I have it working the way I want it.

Concerning the general subject of virtual machines (and clustered VMs for
that matter) within OpenStack, I think there is some stuff missing in Nova
that would be necessary (granted -- in one way or another, it would be
possible to make Pacemaker deal with VMs that have failed within Nova, but
in my eyes, that'd be crazy). Nova knows what VMs are supposed to be there
and Nova can find out which VMs are in fact running and which are not, so
I think Nova should make sure that those VMs that are supposed to run are,
well, running :)

Best regards
Martin

--
Martin Gerhard Loschwitz
Chief Brand Officer, Principal Consultant

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and/or the accompanying documents
are privileged and confidential under applicable law. The person who
receives this message and who is not the addressee, one of his employees
or an agent entitled to hand it over to the addressee, is informed that
he may not use, disclose or reproduce the contents thereof. Should you
have received this e-mail (or any copy thereof) in error, please let us
know by telephone or e-mail without delay and delete the message from
your system. Thank you.