[Openstack] Metadata and File Injection (code summit session?)

Duncan McGreggor duncan at dreamhost.com
Tue Apr 10 20:13:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Eric Windisch <eric at cloudscaling.com> wrote:
> EC2 is strategically important.  I don't believe that building "gold images"
> is the right focus for OpenStack.

Indeed. Amazon drives a huge portion of the IaaS market today, and has
an enormous impact on non-Amazon IaaS implementations/deployments.

If we in OpenStack do not provide for the easy migration between
OpenStack and AWS (EC2 in this case), the project will quickly become
a non-starter for all the businesses that see Amazon as having defined
"cloud standards." Until the market gives up on Amazon, we should
probably provide robust compatibility between the two.