[Openstack] Stable Branch, alt title: What happens to Diablo

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 15:57:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 09:13 -0700, Lloyd Dewolf wrote:
> I've updated http://wiki.openstack.org/StableBranch to put Diablo in
> the past, and Essex as the current stable release.
>
> I'm delighted to see that Mark McLoughlin already has "Stable Branch"
> on the agenda for the Summit,
> http://summit.openstack.org/sessions/view/29
>
> Before the summit I hope to get clarification on "The stable branch
> will only be maintained until the next release is out. This period may
> be extended if there are volunteers to maintain it beyond this point."
>
> I suspect we can generally agree that Diablo and future each stable -
> 1 should still be "supported" for some overlap with the current stable
> release, and beyond that would be dependent on... well the
> organizations dependent on that release.
>
> How long will https://launchpad.net/~openstack-stable-maint continue
> to maintain Diablo? Based on that we can determine if there is a group
> interested in continuing to own maintenance for an additional period.

It's a good question, and one that we still need to figure out an answer
to.

Judging by the level of interest so far in helping to maintain the
branch, I think this would work:

  - Core projects in a given release have a stable branch for that
    release maintained by openstack-stable-maint

  - A stable branch is actively maintained (read - the branch
    maintainers actively monitor master for patches to backport and
    release new versions from the branch) until the next release comes
    out

  - A stable branch is then passively maintained (read - the branch
    maintainers will backport security fixes and accept patches for
    high impact issues, but will not do new releases) until the next
    release after that comes out

Giving a current state of stable-maint actively maintaining stable/essex
and passively maintaining stable/diablo. We will EOL stable/diablo when
Folsom comes out.

Of course, we can always re-evaluate the policy if interest increases.

Looking forward to discussing further at the summit ...

Cheers,
Mark.