[Openstack] Image API v2 Draft 4

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:11:35 UTC 2012

On 04/09/2012 12:56 PM, Justin Santa Barbara wrote:
>     APPENDIX B: Outstanding issues
>
>     4) Need to write xsds :(
>
> This is easy if you design a model which works with XML.  If you have an
> XML compatible model, you can generate an XSD and a JSON model from
> that.  Also, it means you can just use common middleware to map XML to
> JSON, rather than coding XML parsing functions.

Justin, what does "design a model which works with XML" mean?

> I think the one thing you'd have to change is that XML won't allow you
> to serialize a dictionary with elements as keys (e.g. { "key1":
> "value1", "key2": "value2" }, you have to do this: [ { "key": "key1",
> "value": "value1" }, { "key": "key2", "value": "value2" } ]
>
> I think this is only done in the image properties.

No, the image properties have been removed in the 2.0 Images API and
replaced with the standard concept of "tags":

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rb7ZVn0Du_5NZqUyQpqUZSmv7Qd66TMHYAtvsow7LH4/edit#heading=h.y10rq9pdt27y

> On the downside: The JSON isn't as JSON-ic as it could be.

In what ways?

> On the upside: You need never worry about XML again

We haven't worried about it at all up until now. And Glance has been
perfectly fine without it. ;)

See you in a week!

-jay