[Openstack] Database replacement?

Brian Lamar brian.lamar at rackspace.com
Sat Sep 24 17:50:34 UTC 2011

Hey Josh,

>> Has there been any thought on having a nova-db service that responds to requests for
>> information from the db (or something like a db).

No plans that I'm aware of, there is a Database-as-a-Service project called 'Red Dwarf' which might fit this bill however. I honestly haven't looked too much into it.

>> This could be useful for companies that don't necessarily want to have a limiting
>> factor being a database. Since when u scale past a certain number of compute nodes the
>> database connections themselves may become a bottleneck (especially the heartbeat
>> mechanism which updates a table every X seconds).

Not sure what you mean by this. Currently the OpenStack architecture was built to allow hundreds and thousands (maybe?) of compute nodes in the same environment. The keys is to group compute nodes into clusters as outlined here:

http://wiki.openstack.org/MultiClusterZones

Long story short the database isn't being shared between all compute clusters, but instead a hierarchy of clusters is formed (something I, in a pinch, would consider akin to a distributed Map/Reduce model of data sharing).

Does something like this help out with your scaling concerns? I do know that personally I'd be interested in a CouchDB/NoSQL alternative to the Nova database layer...but what we have right now seems to conceptual work for scaling out to many hundreds of compute nodes.

>> It would be interesting if these types of request could go to the message queue
>> instead

110% agree. Hopefully this is something we can talk about at the upcoming conference in Boston. :)

-Brian