[Openstack] Guidelines for OpenStack APIs

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:18:09 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

I just wanted to clarify to the reasoning why we use POST for metadata
modification in Swift.  In general I totally agree that PUT/POST
should be used for creation (PUT when you know the identification of
the representation, POST when you do not).  And PUT should be used
when modifying the representation.  The problem is that in swift, the
representation of an object is both the object data, and the metadata
for that object.  In fact, PUT works fine for update, you just have to
re-upload the entire file and the metadata, even if all you want to
change the metadata.  That is why to change just the metadata, we
implemented it in POST.

--
Chuck