[Openstack] Load Balancers for Swift Proxy-servers ----why Pound ?

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:10:01 UTC 2011

Howdy,

In general Nginx is really good, and we like it a lot, but it has one
design flaw that causes it to not work well with swift.  Nginx spools
all requests, so if you are getting a lot large (say 5GB) uploads, it
can be problematic.  In our testing a while ago, Pound proved to have
the best SSL performance over a 10G link.  There are a couple of
things that would be interesting to test that have come out since the
last time that we did testing:

1.  Encryption offloading to the newer Intel chips with it built in.
2.  Yahoo's Traffic Server has since become better documented.

--
Chuck