[Openstack] Guidelines for OpenStack APIs

Jan Drake jan_drake at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 04:54:43 UTC 2011

It makes me very happy to see this.  I will try to keep up with this in realtime but would love it if there were periodic review points advertised pre-publishing of the standards.  Failing that, I would  ask some of the contributors whom know me to poke me in a timely manner re this.  Also, I will see about contributing our API standards for RESTful APIs.

I've said this before: the API is the product. If OpenStack hopes to not turn into a heterogenous nightmare of mismatched APIs and provide operationally automatable and supportable frameworks then standards and some light governance are necessary... starting with common RESTful semantics and abstraction from provider specific semantics and stopping way short of component level  semantics as each project should supply that.

Jan Drake
Principal Cloud Architect
The Walt Disney Company

*poof* Jan disappears back into lurker mode in a puff of pixie dust and prioritization.