[Openstack] Blueprint created: LocalFS Class

Vineeth Pillai Vineeth.Pillai at nexenta.com
Fri Sep 16 16:36:32 UTC 2011

Hi Caitlin,

The proposed blueprint looks good to me. A small comment on the following :

<snip excerpt from http://etherpad.openstack.org/YMTqYzPmZQ>
Define an extension to the HTTP/REST interface for the Object Server to obtain the status of each Local FS and the counts of self-healing mirrors. Presumably this would be a question-mark query on a GET or HEAD operation. This information should be made available to the users of RingBuilder so that they may choose to reduce the number of network replicas. Instead of the default three networked replicas with one copy each, the user may select to have two networked replicas that each has a self-healing mirror.
<snip>

I think we would not need this API, as storage is locally handled by the object servers itself. At the time of ring building, object servers would not be running and hence this interface would not serve the purpose. This capability of the Object server is a pre-decision and not changed once the server is running. Hence a query for this is nor needed.

Rather I feel that, this information can be provided at the time of adding devices. As of now, the format for adding device is
z<ZONE ID>-<IP>:<PORT>/<DEVICE>

This can be modified as:
z<ZONE ID>-<IP>:<PORT>/<DEVICE>[:<MIRROR COUNT>]

If mirror count is not specified, then default of one is taken.

Let me know your opinion on this..

Many Thanks,
Vineeth