[Openstack] Integration tests

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:37:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Matt Dietz <matt.dietz at rackspace.com> wrote:
> Regarding novaclient, I was debating this myself last night. Our backfire
> suite currently uses it. However, I can see scenarios where nova has
> advanced but novaclient has yet to, and because all three projects are
> independently developed, we're stuck temporarily.

This, I believe, is a problem. novaclient is currently the only client
that isn't in the core project itself. Can we discuss pulling
novaclient into Nova's source tree at the design summit?

> I can see utility in
> tests specifically for Novaclient, and ones that use a built in client (as
> the suite that Soren provided currently does.)

Sure. This is actually something that Glance's functional test suite
does. It uses httplib2 as a direct HTTP client and uses bin/glance to
test the supplied Glance client.

> Also, Backfire uses a module Kevin Mitchell wrote named Dtest that
> actually provides a lot of that same functionality you mention, Tim. It
> also gives you the ability to spawn the tests individually in greenthreads
> so they execute in parallel. We got push back when we initially tried to
> merge our tests into Nova, partially because it uses a 3rd party library
> for executing the tests. We can try merging these things together, if
> that's what everyone wants.

I'd be totally cool with bringing DTest goodness into
https://github.com/sorenh/openstack-integration-tests. :)

Less duplication of effort, the better IMHO.
openstack-integration-tests should be in the business of writing
integration tests, not multi-processing testing libraries.

-jay