[Openstack] Integration tests

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Fri Sep 9 21:07:45 UTC 2011

Hi, guys.

As you may know, we have a small test cluster that runs whatever is in
the nova-core/trunk PPA. Whenever there's an update in the PPA, the
cluster gets blown away, and a fresh Nova gets installed, all driven by
a deploy job run by Jenkins.

In addition to that, there's now an integration test job that is run
whenever the deploy job finishes. It runs a set of tests against the
freshly installed cluster. At the moment, a lot of it its failing, some
of it due to reasons outlined below and some of it due to the deploy
script apparently being a tad fragile at times.

It lives at https://github.com/openstack/openstack-integration-tests and
is managed by Gerrit like everything else (see
http://wiki.openstack.org/GerritWorkflow for details).

A bit of history:

A number of different integration test projects existed. The most
extensive ones I knew of, Kong and Stacktester, were used to bootstrap
this project. I (arbitrarily) picked Kong as the starting point, and
then pulled Stacktester into the same tree and tried to get all the ends
to meet.  Somewhat ironically, testing this is awkward for me, since I
don't have direct access to a test cluster (it's just little, old me
with my laptop here) Anyways, this is why it has somewhat of a
Frankenstein feel to it, but I expect that to get sorted out shortly,
and I'd like to invite anyone interested in this effort to pitch in.

Going forward, the idea is to use this project as the canonical home for
integration tests for OpenStack. If someone has integration tests they
want to run, they can submit a patch to this project, and we can include
it. The more problems we can expose using this system, the better, so if
you have any tests you want to run, please submit them here.

Some of the short term goals for this include getting all the existing
tests to use the same method of issuing API calls[1], and getting them
all to pass as well.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bug/845993

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/