[Openstack] Standardizing External APIs

Bryan Taylor btaylor at rackspace.com
Wed Sep 7 20:05:13 UTC 2011

On 09/07/2011 02:55 PM, Monsyne Dragon wrote:
> Presumably you mean creating a support ticket when an error condition is reported by OpenStack?
> For Nova (compute) we have a notification api that reports various conditions.

Yes.

> Nova itself would not interface with a ticketing (aka incident management) system.  The api's are all different, a fair amount of custom business logic would be needed to figure out what events in nova would constitute something 'incident' worthy, and it's really outside the domain of the compute service.
> Instead, you would have  a separate app that would subscribe to the notifications (they are published in Atom format and can be pushed via pubsubhubub.), make the business case decisions, and call whatever api the incident system has.

So imagine that OpenStack drives the API. Then OpenStack components
could talk to it in a language they understand. Whether this would be
Nova directly, or another component just for this, or maybe a control
panel or other 3rd party tooling, is something the community could
figure out. The vendors might want to help write the adapter from the
API to their system, but if not, contributors could scratch their itches
as needed.

The point is to make this:
OpenStack <-> OpenStack Incident API <-> Adapters <-> Vendor Tools
This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.