[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Wed Sep 7 16:13:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 11:59 -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
> > So far as I know, there's no requirement that someone have merge
> > authority on a project in order to comment on pull requests.  Do cores
> > have direct access to the openstack repos right now, and if they do,
> > what's to stop them from merging pull requests into trunk?
>
> No. Gerrit and Jenkins own the canonical repos, and that's the whole point.

And, as long as anyone can comment on the pull requests, there's no need
for this to change—you have hubcap/jenkins owning the canonical repo
instead of gerrit/jenkins.  So what's the problem?

> >  I think
> > cores are smart enough to follow the procedures laid down, and if they
> > can't, well, they need to not be cores.
>
> I repeat my previous statement about humans being poor gatekeepers
> compared to automated enforceable policies.

But if they're not regularly pulling those levers, the chances of them
accidentally pulling those levers fall drastically.  And if they don't
have to be owners of the repo in order to comment on pull requests, the
chances fall to nil, because that lever isn't there to pull.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.