[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Wed Sep 7 11:54:12 UTC 2011

2011/9/7 Sandy Walsh <sandy.walsh at rackspace.com>:
> We're talking simple string parsing here. The last keyword from a user is that users vote. Multiple pull requests would be equally easy to support with a !new_vote command (or some such thing).

The critical point has never been whether we could reliably detect
people's votes (even though I really dislike parsing free-form text to
extract critical information like this). Even though Launchpad offers
voting information in a structured manner, we *intentionally* don't
auto-approve things there as soon as they have +2.

Sometimes there are simply reasons why things shouldn't get merged
even though they have two approves. If there's already one +1, but
someone specific (someone with domain specific knowledge, a release
team member, etc) needs to sign off on it as well,  I still want to be
able to say that I've reviewed it and approve of it, without causing
it to get merged. We also want to be able to review features and vote
on them even during freeze times without causing them to get merged.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/