[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Sep 7 07:34:45 UTC 2011

Monty Taylor wrote:
> I understand some of you are not comfortable with Gerrit [...]

Thanks for this explanation.

> With this many devs, there will NEVER (and I cannot stress that word
> never enough is a textual email) be full agreement on developer tooling.
> However, what we can do is take in the input of everyone's needs and do
> our best to design a system that meets those needs in a way that serves
> the project as a whole. That this inevitably means that the needs or
> preferences of individual developers may not be stroked is merely a
> given with a project of this size.
>
> My suggestion is that folks send feedback on specific issues you have
> with the current git/gerrit/jenkins setup and we'll be happy to do what
> we can to address them.

One important point IMHO is that running our own Gerrit website allows
you to customize and address concerns more efficiently than trying to
work around GitHub closed source or going through hoops to get radical
changes accepted into the canonical (pun intended) Launchpad instance.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack