[Openstack] API documentation move

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Sep 6 18:02:19 UTC 2011

Hi all -

I wanted to discuss some changes to the API documentation for each project
prior to implementation to make sure I'm not missing any crucial detail and
to ensure you all feel you have ownership of the solution and input into it.
My goal is to move all the OpenStack documentation into github repos. In
doing so, I will also move all the API documentation into separate repos
with a goal of completing the move by October 1st.

Here is my current proposal, please feel free to suggest corrections as you
see fit.

1. Create new github repos named <project>-api that contain:
API documentation including existing API Dev Guides and in the case of Nova,
an API Spec. Four new projects for now: openstack/glance-api,
openstack/keystone, openstack/nova-api, openstack/swift-api.

2. Create connection to Gerrit for review by core devs for each project,
plus the creation of a new group, openstack-core-doc, for reviews of all
four projects.

3. Create a new github repo named openstack/openstack-manuals to contain sys
admin documentation such as the Admin manuals (installation, configuration,
administration docs).

4. Automated build/publish on Jenkins to the correct location on
docs.openstack.org (or project.openstack.org as appropriate), either /diablo
or /api or /incubation depending on project's state. Also includes Jenkins
jobs to validate the docs pre-merge, for XML validation and testing for
missing figures.

Please give me your feedback by the end of this week so we can make the next
moves. Ha! Move! I've also added this item for discussion at today's team
meeting.

Thanks,
Anne

 *Anne Gentle*