[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Lorin Hochstein lorin at isi.edu
Tue Sep 6 01:26:17 UTC 2011

On Sep 5, 2011, at 5:12 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> Chris Behrens wrote:
>> But leaving aside whether I like it or dislike it, what really bothers me is that there was discussion about moving things to github.  And, I was 'ok' with that decision to do so despite preferring bzr and LP.  My 'ok' was based on knowing how git, github pull requests, reviews, and so forth work.  Now I feel like we're moving things to something to which I (and the community) never agreed.   I never saw any discussion about Gerrit on the mailing list as far as "is everyone cool with this?"  The first mention of it that I can find was July 18th regarding moving the CI repos.  Doesn't seem like we were given much of an option.  That really irks me.  Above you say "that has been decided will be used for the core OpenStack projects".  So, I have to ask:  'Who decided?'.  I must have missed something.
>
> The PPB voted on that, mostly based on the feedback from the projects
> that already migrated to it. Apparently the benefits of Gerrit (and the
> 3-month-long process that led the team working on that to prefer that
> solution) were not communicated enough outside of the circles that
> followed the issue closely.

I think it would help if there was a page on the wiki that captured this info, as this would make it easier to find. I wrote a skeleton page: http://wiki.openstack.org/WhyGerrit  and linked it from http://wiki.openstack.org/GerritWorkflow, but it needs to be populated with content.

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein, Computer Scientist
USC Information Sciences Institute