[Openstack] Hypervisor support matrix: differences between XenServer and KVM

Giuseppe Civitella giuseppe.civitella at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 15:12:05 UTC 2011

Hi all,

as I can see in the hypervisor's support matrix page (
http://wiki.openstack.org/HypervisorSupportMatrix ) there are a few
differences between the XenSever/XCP's feature list and the KVM's
one.
Brian Lamar has been so kind to explain me what the missing resize
feature means ( https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/169814 ):
is there any plan to fix this gap?
Now I'm not sure about what implies the missing "Firewall rules" and
"Security Groups" in Xen support.
Does this means that there's no way to generate iptables rules on xen
instances via euca-tools?
Do xen instances need to have an onboard firewall?
More in general, how can I check if an api method will be supported in
my installation?

Thanks a lot.
Giuseppe