[Openstack] Gflags / conf -> common?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Oct 31 21:08:50 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any plans in essex to standardize either using gflags or using configuration files for these types of settings.
One of the complaints that I receive a lot with gflags is that by including a python file, u automatically inject all of its flags (even if they are not used) into gflags (since its global).
Thus say u are just using the nova-compute run time, but that itself includes say "flags.py" which itself seems to be a common area for flags that may or may not be used by that runtime. Similarly if a file is imported has say 1 method used by the calling code but itself defines 10 flags (for its components) then those 10 flags get injected. This makes it very confusing to figure out what should be set (or what could be set).

Has there been any thought on fixing this (or making a standard recommendation that subprojects can follow) that would avoid this problem?
I could imagine fixes being in the code structure itself (having said 1 method stated above not be in a file what pulls in other code that defines 10 flags) or another type of configuration mechanism?
I think this was mentioned at the conference, but not sure what came out of that :-)

-Josh