[Openstack] API Versioning and Extensibility

Bryan Taylor btaylor at rackspace.com
Thu Oct 27 16:48:38 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 11:04 AM, George Reese wrote:
> You know what it has to do with API versioning? It has to do with people
> proposing bad versioning ideas to support esoteric stuff WHEN THE BASIC
> STUFF AIN'T THERE YET.

Dude. Calm down. The fact that somebody proposed something you don't
agree with doesn't make it a "bad" idea.

> curl is the appropriate mechanism for manually interacting with an API
> for development purpose. A browser is a very limited tool for
> interacting with the HTTP protocol and should not be the boundary of
> what an API should support.

When I click on a link in an email or a IM, curl isn't what opens it.
Since we try to support HATEOAS it may take a sequence of links to get
to where I want to be. Once I open payload #1, curl doesn't allow me to
click around. Which is why, I don't think an effort to persuade the
developers of the world to abandon browsers for curl as the way to
introspect a RESTful web service isn't likely to get very far.