[Openstack] +1, All services should have WADLs

Mark Nottingham mnot at mnot.net
Thu Oct 27 13:38:54 UTC 2011

On 28/10/2011, at 12:31 AM, Sandy Walsh wrote:

> I think that would be ideal.
>
> The key to API adoption will come not only from ease-of-use but from availability of language bindings. Manually creating and maintaining the Python binding is well and good, but having to create and maintain bindings for Java, C#, C++, C, Ruby, PHP, etc is going to be a full time job for many parties. Not to mention versioning support.
>
> The beauty of having a machine consumable format is to automate the changes in the bindings as soon as the WADL (or whatever) changes. All clients move lock-step with the server changes. As I mentioned before, it's even better when the server WADL is auto-generated from the implementation.

> Is WADL rich enough to support this? That's what we need to investigate.

The problem is that people are used to using WSDL and WADL as ways to do code generation, not using them dynamically at runtime. This makes everything very brittle.

I'm totally on board with having the interface being machine-consumable at runtime -- see the previous discussion on versioning and extensibility -- but WADL isn't really designed for this. I'm sketching up something more appropriate, and will be able to talk about it soon (hopefully).

Cheers,

Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/