[Openstack] describing APIs for OpenStack consumers

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Wed Oct 26 15:48:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 15:30 -0700, Joseph Heck wrote:
> It sounds like even though most of us hate WADL, it's what we're
> expending effort after to make a consolidated API set. So unless Nati
> and Ravi want to switch to using Swagger (or something else), WADL is
> the direction we're heading. I totally agree with Daryl that reading
> it is a PITA, and am finding (from my part) that the only definitive
> way to know about writing the docs and documenting the authoritative
> API is to read the underlying code. (which is what I suspect Nati
> likely did with the pull request that adds in WADL for the
> Nova/OpenCompute extension API)

I wonder if it would be possible to generate much of the WADL from
introspecting the code itself...surely the URL structure itself can be
extracted from the paste setup, and the XML templates code I recently
contributed could easily be traversed to provide at least a basic
description of the output.  That could at least provide a starting point
for generating WADLs...

(Of course, I propose this, having little idea of what actually goes in
a WADL, but still... ;)
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>