[Openstack] high availability deployment

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 15:48:16 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 11:19 AM, Yun Mao wrote:
> Hi stackers,
>
> is there a document somewhere that talks about the deployment strategy
> for high availability? There seems to be a few single point of
> failures in the nova architecture -- the controller, which has the API
> and the scheduler, the rabbitmq server, and the mysql server.
>
> Google helped me to reach this thread
> http://www.mail-archive.com/openstack@lists.launchpad.net/msg03516.html,
> which covers the rabbitmq and mysql part, although it appears that
> rabbitmq will still lose messages during failure in the setup. I'm
> wondering if someone has tried to make the controller more available
> during node failure? Thanks,

As a bit of an aside, the issues you mentioned with rabbitmq are one
reason it may be worth considering qpid [1] as an alternative AMQP
implementation.  Qpid includes some deeper clustering and failover
integration [2] to ensure that no messages get lost.

It can't be used with OpenStack today, but I may look into it soon.

[1] http://qpid.apache.org/
[2]
http://qpid.apache.org/books/0.12/AMQP-Messaging-Broker-CPP-Book/html/ch01s08.html

--