[Openstack] Some updates to REST API specs

Jorge Williams jorge.williams at rackspace.com
Thu Oct 20 18:25:30 UTC 2011

We had extend discussions about the HTTP error code that we retuned for rate limiting while discussing the compute API.  The issue is that we allow users to discover and query their rate limits.  So an over-limit response should be in the 400 range because we see it as a client error.  None of the codes fit exactly right, but we felt 413 fit the best for that use case, because it provided for a RetryAfter header and if you think about it Request Entity Too Large makes sense because if you've been rate limited we'd allow 0 bytes on the request.  Still it was somewhat ambiguous. Services that don't provide queryable rate limits return an error in the 500 range (503), essentially saying "hey, I'm being overloaded right now, back off".

The nice thing about 429, is that it's a 400 level code specific for rate limiting that's completely unambiguous.  If there's even an effort to standardize around that code I think that we should support it in the next revision of our APIs.

-jOrGe W.