[Openstack] Packaging changes based on discussions at ODS

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sat Oct 15 19:56:56 UTC 2011

Totally in terms of the decisions and re-visiting it. I think you're
totally right, of course, in terms of that.

Here's the problem in a nutshell... I can continue to cut packages ...
but we don't have anybody dedicated to maintaining the contents of the
packages that we create post-release. (we only just now even got
branches for maintenance of the branches post-release, and those are
really mainly a place for the distros to coordinate)

As it winds up now, the way we're releasing packages to the PPA, because
we have to backport upwards of 20 packages, we have a mini linux
distribution. That's fine - and the world knows how to manage linux
distributions - but it creates the implication that we are going to
continue to maintain the release once it's made. Security fixes would be
the big thing ... when a security bug hits diablo, who is going to
manage getting it in to a package release that we as the project are
releasing? What about security bugs in the 20 backported packages?

Now - don't get me wrong. I think it's actually an excellent idea to
publish packages in the way that we have been... in fact, I set up the
original version of it in the first place, and I've been a strong
supporter of it by way of forcing all of the CI builds to use packages
rather than source. So I definitely see the value in having an OpenStack
release targetted at Lucid or at Squeeze. I've been arguing for the
necessity of that for a while ... since it is an area in which the
traditional disto model completely and utterly fails. (mainly because
it's an area in which they are not even trying, since it's kind of
opposite from their model) But to do that takes a will from the project
to support release that we've made - and it was pretty clear in the SRU
talks that the project as it stands now (or at least the devs of the
project) is unwilling and uninterested in supporting such an effort. The
only people who expressed a vocal interest in ongoing maint of diablo
post release _were_ the distros... so since they are the ones bringing
the firepower, we're sort of left with their model of user support.

There's my brain dump. I am ALL EARS for suggestions. And please, just
so that we can keep this discussion focused, I don't actually need any
help in solving the technical challenges of how we cut packages. That's
easy and solved already. The main problem here is the challenge of how
we get appropriate content in to the packages in a post-release world.

Thanks for bringing it up Anne! I really do hope we can find the proper
solution here.

Monty