[Openstack] [RFC] Stable branch

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Fri Oct 14 16:43:47 UTC 2011

Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> writes:

> Chuck pointed out on IRC that I forgot to mention the other projects.
>
> I totally think we should do the same for all projects, I was just using
> Nova as a testcase.

Yep.

>> > Each project will have a branch named after the previous release. For
>> > example, the stable branch for the diablo release will be simply
>> > called 'diablo'.
>>
>> Sounds good.  I'll create branches in gerrit named 'diablo' branching
>> from the commit with the 2011.3 tag.  I think we can update the release
>> management process to incorporate this step for essex.
>
> Cool stuff.

It turns out that if we name the maintenance branches something we can
match a regex against, then we can configure Gerrit to give the
openstack-stable-maint group approval access to all maintenance branches
with just one ACL.  Otherwise we would have to remember to add a new ACL
when be branch essex.  Would you object to calling the branches
"maint-*", e.g., "maint-diablo", "maint-essex", etc?

> Does the current diablo branch for Nova pass all tests on jenkins?
> Perhaps we should start by bypassing jenkins and pushing these commits
> directly to the branch:
>
>   $> $ git log --oneline origin/diablo..d6137fb
>   d6137fb Fix outstanding pep8 errors for a clean trunk.
>   b0e855e Removing old code that snuck back in
>   6503923 Made jenkins email pruning more resilient.
>   ba68a78 Don't use GitPython for authors check
>   3a63bd5 Add tools/rfc.sh from master

Sounds reasonable.

-Jim