[Openstack] OpenStack Academic Alliance|Circle|Initiative#unconference

Debo Dutta (dedutta) dedutta at cisco.com
Thu Oct 13 00:23:34 UTC 2011

Hi

It’s a great idea. Will help infuse fresh ideas. I would be very interested in helping out in the co-ordination. More thoughts inline

We can start with some of the papers from SIGCOMM, OSDI/SOSP, NSDI to begin with. And list the conferences.

>       * maintain a list of ideas for the companies to sponsor research
>         like a "market"
>       * a place for the companies to say what they need and research can
>         execute
>               * undergrad level, gsoc-style, time starved but there are
>                 many of them. it's important to be easy for them to
>                 contribute

They can contribute a lot of point features as part of academic projects.

>               * masters level, more in depth work, empirical studies
>                 like performance evaluation

Scalability analysis will be another area ....

>               * phd level, exploratory type of research

I think Donabe has a lot of scope. So does Quantum .... especially from a SDN perspective.

>       * handle the funding, hr tasks, mentoring: who's going to manage
>         this?
>               * mentoring is intense and time consuming, but crucial for
>                 the success of research

Crowdsourced  mentoring isn’t a bad idea. Also less taxing.

>       * provide resources, like hardware for tests, for researchers

Could happen via industry grants or even partnering with NSF or some equivalent agency (NRC in Canada or some EU research agencies).

>       * advertise this initiative among researchers
>               * Example: setup OpenStack tracks at a couple of relevant
>                 conference

Maybe have a pure academic track (algorithms, distributed systems relevant to OS) and a poster session for long term ideas/opinions.

> Next steps: Identify the group responsible for this initiative and
> define action items, deadlines and deliverables.

I am ready to volunteer for this.