[Openstack] OpenStack API Versioning Conventions

Bryan Taylor btaylor at rackspace.com
Thu Oct 13 00:22:24 UTC 2011

It's true that HTTP assigns no meaning to the extension, but HTTP leaves
it to the server to decide the meaning of its own resources and their
location within its URI structure. The filename extension meme is
extremely common for variant resources. We adopt these conventions only
so that that our server code can easily figure out what to do and to
promote what Fielding calls "serendipitous use" by our human clients
(developers).