[Openstack] OpenStack API v1.0 Removal from Nova

Gabe Westmaas gabe.westmaas at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Oct 12 14:39:04 UTC 2011

On 10/12/11 9:22 AM, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Gabe Westmaas
><gabe.westmaas at rackspace.com> wrote:
>> I definitely get why developers working on the code base are in favor of
>> this, especially for reasons 3 and 4 below.  However, there are a couple
>> of reasons that it might make sense to keep it, and I'd really like to
>> hear from a different demographic, if at all possible.
>>
>> First, I'd like to hear from anyone that has nova deployed, whether its
>> public or private.  Are you using the 1.0 API?  I know its not complete,
>> but you can definitely use it to do all the basics.  I can say Rackspace
>> is not, but we may not be the typical case.
>
>But, if someone is deploying on OpenStack 1.0 APIs, that means that
>they can just continue to use the version of OpenStack that they are
>using. I think the decision has been made already that no changes will
>be made to the 1.0 API in the future and so the code is essentially
>frozen. Unless someone is going to commit to maintaining a version of
>Nova that has the 1.0 API with bug fixes specifically to the 1.0 API,
>I think the only path forward for those deployers is either to update
>to the 1.1+ API or stay on the same version of Nova that they are
>currently on.
>
>Either way, removing the 1.0 API stuff as Waldon is suggesting won't
>really make a difference, right?

I don't think that quite applies, because you might get bug fixes for
things unrelated to 1.0 in new versions of nova if we did keep it in the
code base.

Of course if, as George says, no one is using it, then the point is moot.

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.