[Openstack] OpenStack API Versioning Conventions

George Reese george.reese at enstratus.com
Wed Oct 12 11:37:04 UTC 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:

> 2011/10/11 George Reese <george.reese at enstratus.com>:
>> It's wildly inappropriate to equate a thing with its representation.
>
> I didn't say I was right in doing so :)
>
> It's a discussion that gets philosophical rather quickly: Should we
> consider a URI to be a reference to a thing or a reference to a
> representation of a thing?

It is a reference to a representation of a thing, but NOT a version of the thing.

For example, http://www.enstratus.com/index.jsp does not become http://www.enstratus.com/v2/index.jsp when we change it. The new version is simply served up.

Obviously, that's overly simplistic because that is a scenario in which the thing and a version of it are the same thing.

HOWEVER, if I had a web page for viewing the server details for server 1234, that web page would not be versioned (in most cases on the web where resources are versioned, the browser specifies it via parameter). Why should the programming URI be versioned?

-George

--
George Reese - Chief Technology Officer, enStratus
e: george.reese at enstratus.com    t: @GeorgeReese    p: +1.207.956.0217    f: +1.612.338.5041